Here's a recipe for a scrumptious mulberry snack that you can enjoy when you get home from school. Don't worry if you have trouble finding mulberries in your grocery store: this recipe will taste good made with blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries, or any berries!
Remember: Always get an adult's permission before using the oven.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. To make the filling, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water. Stir in the mulberries. Cook over medium heat and stir until thickened and bubbly. Keep the filling hot as you prepare the topping.
3. To make the topping, mix flour, the remaining sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl. Cut in the butter until the entire mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the egg and milk. Add to the flour mixture and stir until moistened.
5. Pour the filling into the baking dish. Pour the topping onto the filling in six mounds. (These will spread out as the cobbler bakes.) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the topping comes out clean.
Serve warm. For a special treat, top with ice cream. Makes 6 servings.
Dr. Seuss text and figures © and Dr. Seuss Enterprises L.P. 2000. All rights reserved.